Friday, July 10, 2009

Ice Carving


Ice carving is a fascinating winter activity that appeals to the unemployed and virgins alike. And Fairbanks provides a perfect venue for creating and displaying their craft. Where else can you find -45 degree temps that form crystal clear ice AND a local population so starved for entertainment that they will pay $10 to walk around and watch said ice not melt?
All kidding aside, the international Ice Carving (or Sculpting?) Championships held in Fairbanks every year are well worth the price of admission and the commitment to stay outside in frigid temperatures for more than five minutes. Artists from around the world gather here to create truly remarkable pieces evoking nature scenes, metaphor, and even comedy. Here’s a few of my favorite examples from last year’s competition. Pretty cool, huh?
A couple ancillary matters. First, one night during the competition I stopped by a local bar for a drink and saw a team of ice sculpting competitors. Aside from their unfortunate facial hair choices, the appearance of this group was also remarkable for their attire, which prominently consisted of custom jackets and hats featuring ice sculpting themes and even sponsor decals. Let me take this opportunity to again bemoan the overabundance of sponsor decals in our modern society – it’s stupid. First it was the Nascar guys. At least they had some good excuses to wear sponsor decals. After all, their cars are expensive and they crash them all the time, and also, their redneck fans seem very susceptible to the power of suggestion and advertizing in general. (How else can we explain why people willingly eat Pizza Hut?) Realizing that the Nascar guys had a pretty good thing going, the poker guys soon followed suit. Which was exceedingly stupid, though understandable in that at least these guys wear poker-related decals and are on t.v. when they act like idiots and scream after every hand. But ice carvers? This is where I draw the line. If I really want to get into ice carving and you vehemently recommend a particular chisel as superior, well yeah, I’m gonna go out and buy me that damn chisel. But lumber yards? Car dealerships? These things have nothing to do with ice carving and everyone knows it. Unless that decal is heated, take it off your jacket.
I know I said “a couple” of ancillary matters but I forget what the other thing was.

No comments: